Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Didn't Wanna Get a Job, but...

Take Senator Tom Harkin, a bunch of Japanese beetles and a puppet talent show, and what do you get? Well, some might say you'd come out with a better plan for health care reform than what's on the table right now, but I'll just call it my first two weeks at the Ames Tribune.

That's right - by the grace of God, I actually landed a job in the field I studied, which is no small feat considering newspapers are disappearing faster than you can say "baby panda." I applied for jobs at many newspapers in the area, though the Tribune was the only one with any openings. I also applied for some other fallback options, including construction and carpet sales (you can start out making $35,000 at this gig! The only thing is, you would be selling...carpets).

I found out I got the job while I was in India - it was such an answer to prayer. It's a huge blessing to be able to stay in Ames where I have great friends and an influential church where I get to use my gifts in the arts for God's glory.

As far as making a living goes, I get paid to talk to people, learn new things and attend events like "Puppet Idol" at the Ames Public Library.

I'm officially the Iowa State and higher education reporter, but if you've got any good story ideas, send 'em my way! And if you think your story isn't newsworthy enough for the Tribune - two words for you: Puppet Idol.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I should make it known. I read your blog...

congratulations on the job! I know it's hard to nab one of those these days. and Puppet Idol sounds like serious fun — wish I could have seen it.

James Pusey said...

Hey, good to know! And yeah, Puppet Idol was a blast - especially since it was hosted by Ryan Seaturtle and judged by Koala Abdul...