Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mr. Pusey, tear down this wall

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. I was 3 years old when it all went down, so I don't really remember it, and I'd say most of today's college students are in the same boat. So what better way to celebrate an event that we don't remember than by reliving it for ourselves?

Some of you may have seen a large cardboard wall standing in front of Parks Library yesterday. The ISU German Club put it there to represent the Berlin Wall, and they encouraged students to spraypaint their own messages of freedom onto it. I covered the event for the Tribune, so I approached a few students who were painstakingly putting the finishing touches on their designs.

"So, what message are you trying to get across with your painting?" I asked.

One of them, looked at me, shrugged and continued to paint. "We're just trying to get our names out there, you know? Just trying to give ISU a little taste of New York."

"Oh, you're from New York?"

"Nah, man."

As inspired as some of the graffiti was, the best part of the event was at 4:00 p.m. when it came time to tear down the wall. About 30 people crowded around that makeshift bulwark of communism, and a self-proclaimed female Ronald Reagan impersonator announced, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear off this -er- tear down this wall!"

The crowd proceeded to pummel the crap out of the cardboard with two red wiffle bats. Now as a reporter, I know it's my job to strictly observe...but when they're handing out free swings at the Berlin Wall with a wiffle bat, I'm gonna take my chances every time.





No comments: